It’s tutorial Thursday again!
Today, I’m going to take you through step by step on how to make a handbag cake using just a round cake. For this cake I used a 12″ cake baked from a box mix. The easy part is making the shape of the bag, but the details with the fondant is where you will need to invest some time. The total time it took me for this cake excluding baking time was 5 hours. I took my time with the detailing to ensure I was happy with the end result. Here’s a step by step process:
1. Start with a 12″ inch cake and try to level it on top if there is a dome. Leave a slight dome shape (your cake should not be totally flat).
2. Cut your cake exactly in half, flip it over so the bottom of the cake is now on top. Spread a generous amount of buttercream on one side.
3. Sandwich the two pieces of cake together.
4. Turn the cake to an upright position as above. Using a spatula spread buttercream all over the cake (the more you add the better).
5. Take a cup of boiling water, dip your spatula in it, tap off the excess and smooth the buttercream over your cake. Your cake should look similar to the above.
6. Roll out your fondant and using some baking paper, trace the shape of the side of the bag. Cut your fondant larger than your template.
7. Starting from the bottom, apply the piece of fondant, smoothing it to the top.
8. Trim off the excess using a pair of scissors.
9. Repeat on the other side.
10. Cut out a piece of fondant and apply to the top of the bag. Trim off the excess.
11. Roll out some fondant into a long thin piece and apply where the fondant pieces meet. You can use edible glue or a little water for this.
12. Repeat on the other side and around the bottom of the cake. Using the stitching tool, go over the rolled pieces of fondant.
13. Using the back of your knife, lightly press against the fondant to make lines on both sides of the bag.
14. Using a stitching tool, go over the lines.
15. Cut out another piece of fondant and stick it on top as shown above.
16. Using black food colouring, colour the strip of fondant.
17. Add a strip of white on top of the black and using your stitching tool, make a zipper. Dust it with some edible glitter (optional).
18. For the handles, roll out black fondant onto some florist wire, bend it into handles and insert them into the cake.
19. Cut out a square piece of fondant and stick it to the front of the bag to make a pocket. Decorate as desired.
All done! Hope you enjoyed the tutorial 🙂